TThe city of San Marcos is encouraging residents affected by the COVID-19 pandemic to apply for utility, rent and mortgage assistance through a refunded program. The San Marcos City Council has allocated a total of $ 567,825 in funding to the aid program, including programming and administration, to support the Community Development Block Grant-Coronavirus Response (CDBG-CV).
The program is funded through a partnership between the city, Community Action, Inc. of central Texas and the Blanco River Regional Recovery Team (BR3T) to help individuals and families deal with financial needs resulting from the pandemic. Support is available until all program funds are exhausted.
Eligible Residents can receive mortgage, rent and utility allowances for up to three months. Applicants applying for funding must:
- Live within the city limits of San Marcos
- Provide an overdue electricity, rental, or eviction notice OR certify that you or someone in your household must move to an unsafe or unhealthy residential area if you are not receiving rental support, such as a shared apartment or emergency shelter
- Confirm that duplicate support will not be received for the same months
The applicant or someone in the household must have experienced at least one of these financial implications related to COVID-19:
- Reduction / loss of income
- Increased spending
- Entitlement to unemployment benefit
Household income must be at or below 80% of the Area Median Income for the Austin-Round Rock Metropolitan Statistical Area. For example, the eligible income for a four-person household is $ 79,100.